On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Edward Martinez <mindbende...@live.com> wrote:
> Posting this here hoping it can be clarified?
>
>  i wonder if this news reporter simply made and error, or was OpenSolaris
> merged, with Solaris, and now solaris is the sole OS?
>
> quote:
> "Oracle has attempted to address user concerns over its silent treatment of
> OpenSolaris with its latest announcement. Dell and HP will certify and resell
> the product, now called Oracle Solaris,"
> endquote
>

> I hope  this will be further addressed  during Openworld.
>
> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/07/30/242174/Oracle-clears-the-air-on-OpenSolaris-but-Sparc-future-looks.htm

Well, in the absence of any actual announcement by Oracle as to the
future of OpenSolaris, one has to regard this article as mostly in error.

If, as a journalist, you haven't actually got any news, then you simply take
a handful of completely independent items that aren't related to each
other, throw them together in the same article at random, don't bother
to check things like background, nomenclature, facts, or sources, think
of a good title to make it sound interesting or controversial, draw some
completely errant conclusions that are substantiated neither by the facts
nor by the fictions presented by the article, and pass it off as journalism.

Note that many of the individual words and sentences, even paragraphs
are correct. It's the juxtaposition of items, the claimed relationships, and
the conclusions erroneously drawn, that goes off into the weeds.

The saddest thing is that people presumably get paid for this.

(Still, at least I'm an "expert" rather than a "project manager".)

On a more serious note, remember that nomenclature is confusing
at best. OpenSolaris, depending on context and the knowledge of
the speaker, could be one, some, or all of - a community, a codebase,
a development effort, a trademark, a website, a distribution, and a
commercial product (and many other things). The fact that it's referred
to differently at different times or by different people or in different
contexts doesn't mean that anything has actually changed. And even
Solaris, which ought to have a somewhat more precise meaning, gets
misused in the same way (and sometimes gets used as a shortcut to
include some of the things that might be called OpenSolaris). Sun and
now Oracle could never get this right, there's no point expecting
journalists to do so.

Sometimes I've wondered whether we need a debunking project to
dissect articles like this. Mind you, it would just be a lot easier if Oracle
were to actually clear the air...

--
-Peter Tribble