Will,

I'll quickly blast through the answers,

1) mysqldump of remote server, rsync of files then a ZFS snapshot. Does this
for 4 servers. And there is a windows backup over CIFS.
2) I have done a scrub, I don't have it scheduled but I did it after the first
'crash' and have done it since. Doesn't seem to have helped.
3) We have two 2TB disks in a mirror
4) I'm going to skip this sunday's evenings backups and see how it goes.
5) we don't use NFS, we do however have one server backing up over CIFS. Using
wbadmin. I though briefly it was that, since it does a full backup on sunday.
BUT I moved that backup to last night to try replicate the issue and no joy.
(and there was a heavier backup load last night since it was monday, so if
anything was going to happen it should have been then)
6) The hardware is a brand new DELL T110 (I'm not saying its impossible there's
something wrong with it, but I think its unlikely)

In the mean time I'll scrub the pool again.

Thanks for you reply,

- Daniel