On 22 September 2010 10:22, Gary Driggs <gdri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2010, at 12:57 AM, Knut Reinert wrote:
>> Given the ongoing BSD'tification of Illumos userland utilities I'd say
>> it may be time to fork. Solaris and it's descendants should stay with
>> it's SystemV heritage and POSIX.
>
> How do BSD or System V have anything to do with POSIX or Single UNIX
> Specification compliance? Answer: very little as they're only userland
> differences. BSD systems have received SUS certifications & several non-Unix
> operating systems, including Windows, are POSIX compliant.

This is news for me. Could you point me to the opengroup page which
lists FreeBSD, NetBSD or any other BSD operating system except Apple
OS X as SUS certified? They claim to support SUS but they are not
certified. Apple OS X is certified but key parts and patches for the
FreeBSD utilities are usually released long after the OS X patch set
is released, usually a year later. Whatever FreeBSD has and Illumos
copied is likely not going to pass a SUS certification process.

> Also, can you see the irony in your complaint? Have you ever heard of SunOS
> versions 1.0 to 4.1.4? :)

Oh, this is funny.
I think I have bad, very bad news for you:
SunOS 4.* was discontinued.
By SUN.
Ten years ago.
It was replaced by something called SOLARIS, which has SunOS only in
it's uname output for backwards compatibility.

SOLARIS is based on UNIX System V and had only very limited backwards
compatibility for SunOS 4.* applications, and only for SPARC. AFAIK
SunOS 4.* compatibility has been discontinued or is going to be
discontinued very soon, IMO likely before Solaris 11 ships or shortly
after that.

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blanc...@googlemail.com>