joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> "Dmitry G. Kozhinov" <d...@desktopfay.com> wrote:
>
>>> So perhaps Illumos/OpenIndiana will become the OurDelta or MariaDB
>>> equivalent of Oracle Solaris and outshine its predecessor. :)
>> I am very doubtful about this. Oracle states
>> (http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/173478) that
>>
>> "Oracle Solaris 11 is scheduled to contain more than 2,700 projects with
>> more than 400 inventions, and will be the result of more than 20 million
>> person hours of development and over 60 million hours of testing."
>>
>> Can Illumos developers spend 20 million person hours of development?
>
> Did Oracle really spend 10000 man years?
>
> If yes, over what period of time?

The announced date of 2011 will be 6 years after Solaris 10 FCS in 2005, and
a number of projects were in development before Solaris 10 FCS shipped, but
integrated after.  It also doesn't say all those people were working at
Sun/Oracle when they spent those hours.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com