>hi all
>
>I'm using a custom snaopshot scheme which snapshots every hour, day,
>week and month, rotating 24h, 7d, 4w and so on. What would be the best
>way to zfs send/receive these things? I'm a little confused about how
>this works for delta udpates.......
>
>Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

The initial backup should look like this:

        zfs snapshot -r exp...@backup-2010-07-12

        zfs send -R exp...@backup-2010-07-12 | zfs receive -F -u -d
portable/export

(portable is a "portable" pool; the export filesystem needs to exist; I use one
zpool to receive different zpools, each in their own directory)

A incremental backup:

        zfs snapshot -r exp...@backup-2010-07-13
        zfs send -R -I exp...@backup-2010-07-12 exp...@backup-2010-07-13 |
                zfs receive -v -u -d -F portable/export

You need to make sure you keep the last backup snapshot; when receiving
the incremental backup, destroyed filesystems and snapshots are also
destroyed in the backup.

Typically, I remove some of the snapshot *after* the backup; they are only
destroyed during the next backup.

I did notice that send/receive gets confused when older snapshots are
destroyed  by time-slider during the backup.

Casper