The strange behavior that I witnessed on the machine that had its hostname
renamed was never resolved or investigated further.  Luckily it was a
experiment/test machine.  About the zpool headers not getting updated after
a zpool upgrade?  I filled a bug on the Illumos bug tracker:

http://illumos.org/issues/217

Somehow my formatting on the bug entry got mangled. :)

Luckily this bug appears to just effect zdb.  The pools and file systems are
in fact upgraded after you initiate the upgrade.  FYI I have witnessed the
same behavior when upgrading pools created on on a clean OS b134 machine to
Open Indiana b147, zpool version 28.

I'm under the impression that this bug would not be difficult to fix, but
being that zdb does not seem to be well documented, maybe in fact it would
be hard to track down?