I'm at the point where I need to upgrade my hardware for my home zfs
server.  Its not that I've outstripped the hardware with work, but
more that hardware is getting pretty old and showing signs of
problems.

Hardware is Athlon64 +3400 2.2Ghz.  It only has capability of holding
3GB or ram.

I'm thinking to build up a unit that can handle 24 GB of ram.

But that would only make sense if it would be possible on such a
machine to run a virtual form of windows 7 for fairly serious video
editing.  It would not be the main editing interface but would be more
of a backup unit that would take some of the work such as processing
still pictures or creating leadins in After Effects.

Plus (Killing two birds with one stone) still be an Opensolaris
machine for the backups of other machines and general storage of data.

The NFS angle would be fairly small scale.  Currently I have 3 sets of
mirrored disks. 2 500GB sets and 1 set of 750gb, with lots of room
left over.  Even so, I would still probably add another set of 750
disks for the windows work. So that is the kind of scale involved for
a networked file server come `windows 7 video editing machine'.

What I'm asking here is if running a virtual windows 7 would be able
to take good advantage of the 24 GB or ram?