> What i wanted to know was, if the filename has got
> multibyte characters, and not if the content of the
> file is multibyte.

Between two Unix systems, it shouldn't matter,
since the convention there would be to use UTF-8 encoding
for multibyte names.  UTF-8 is friendly to anything that
is 8-bit clean, since it doesn't use ASCII bytes to encode
higher characters.  (I've tried this and it seems to work,
sending or receiving.)  I _think_ a Mac (OS X) would for those
purposes behave like a Unix system.  I can't try that right now.
No idea what would happen with Mac OS older than OS X.

I looked around a little more to see about the possibility
of additional multibyte support in ftp.

Most "modern" ftp is at least RFC 959 compliant - written in 1985.
I wouldn't assume interoperability of any sort with anything
older than that.

Newer, and relevant to multibyte name support (and localization
of messages) is RFC2640 (1999).

RFC2640 specifies that multibyte filenames be passed
in UTF-8.  On Solaris, that works.  Whether or not the other
end (when it's some other OS) complies is anyone's guess.
Also, not only do other platforms not natively use UTF-8
for filenames (Windows uses UTF-16), some platforms
have naming conventions that would rule out multibyte
names (like "native", i.e. non-Unix, file names on an
IBM mainframe).

However, that works simply because UTF-8 is the native
(on Solaris or for that matter Linux) way of representing
multibyte characters in a file name, not because Solaris's
ftp has any special support for that.

RFC2640 also specifies a way for clients to communicate
their preferred locale for human-readable messages to the
server.  Unfortunately, I don't think the Solaris ftp client
supports that (so it clearly doesn't fully support RFC2640).
The Solaris ftpd server (basically WU-FTPD now, which is a
very configurable open source ftp server;  in Solaris 8 and
before, Solaris used its own ftp server, which was not nearly
as capable) does _not_ appear to me to support the LANG
command for communicating the preferred locale for messages.
If WU-FTPD, one of the more advanced ftpd implementations,
doesn't do that, I'm guessing that most others don't either.

So...multibyte filenames should survive ftp between most
Unix systems, and the Solaris ftpd server and command line
ftp client shouldn't cause any problems there (although they
don't specifically advertise the capability, which might
just confuse an ftp server or client on another system
that was trying to be a little too smart about things).

But between Solaris and some non-Unix system, I would
generally expect that it _wouldn't_ work.

And I don't think messages to the user will be localized.