Is there a sort of standard approach when one needs to boot a machine
running opensolaris with some sort of rescue disc that understands
zfs?

I have a machine running opensolaris b 133 that won't run more than 15
to 20 minutes.  I'm not finding what the problem is by looking at
/var/adm/messages...or dmesg. In fact I see nothing I recognize as a
clue.

The key word there being `recognize', its quite likely if I saw a good
clue I might not realize it was a good clue.

Maybe that machine can be booted with an alternate operating system
with tools aboard that understands zfs.

If in that situation the machine runs normally... then maybe I can
salvage the data by accessing the zfs file systems

Anyway, is there a commonly used method to boot for trouble shooting
with some kind of rescue disc?