It is trying to do an IPv6 lookup (via ipnodes) before trying an IPv4 lookup
(via hosts).  Since you probably aren't using IPv6, you can get the desired
behavior with:

hosts: files nis dns
ipnodes: files

Releases of Solaris/OpenSolaris later than what you appear to be running
know how to look up IPv6 addresses via hosts as well.  That is, ipnodes in
nsswitch.conf becomes obsolete.

Mike

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Mike DeMarco <mikej...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Build 134
> My nsswitch.conf file is setup as such
>
> hosts     files nis dns
> ipnodes files nis dns
>
> when snooping the interface I see dns lookups even though the ipaddress
> lives in the local host file and or the nis database.
>
> It was a very early problem with nsswitch that it would still follow
> through with requests even though they were satisfied with the prior
> request. I tried to limit it going out to the next resource if the current
> one was found with
>
> hosts:      files [SUCCESS=return] nis [SUCCESS=return] dns
> ipnodes:    files [SUCCESS=return] nis [SUCCESS=return] dns
>
> But still every request goes to dns no matter what it finds in the files
> database or nis database.
>
> Waiting for a dns timeout on every ssh to a host that is not in dns is a
> killer.
>
> Anyone seen this behavior and have input.
>
> Thanks
> --

Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/