I have a dead or dieing machine....

I wondered if something bizarre like this scenario that follows could
be done.

The machine was running b 133
Fire up a new install in a vm.

Take the discs (one by one) from the brokedown machine, and install
them in somekind of external enclosure.

(I only have a laptop to do this with)

Then assign that disc to the vm version of osol in some manner.

(discs are sata)

Would the newly installed OS recognize the data and zpool/zfs
structures enough to retrieve the data or copy it over.

Like if you made this external disk a zpool, would it just be erased
or would the OS see the data and file structure?

I'm thinking maybe an esata connection or some other... I have no real
grasp on whats available... and not sure if this might not be a
ridiculous and far from possible scheme.