On 15/11/2010 16:32, Thorsten Heit wrote:
Oracle today released its first version of Solaris 11 Express:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/overview/index.html

Just two gotchas so far, creating a new boot environment from OpenIndiana (which boot environment I plan to maintain and nuture).

The first is that it trashes your nsswitch.conf again. I've had this before, so I knew exactly what had happened, but it fundamentally meant I couldn't access any NFS filesystems. It changed it from a slightly modified NIS version, with the addition of compat to the passwd line and dns to the hosts and ipnodes lines, back to a raw files version. Make sure you keep a copy of your working one.

The second is the run of /usr/lib/time-slider-cleanup four times an hour from crontab, which is now sending me email all the time. This script has disappeared, and I'm not sure what the replacement is or if it's necessary any more. I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

Some interesting messages (on my Sun Ultra 40 M2 Workstation):

Nov 16 11:56:05 wonky genunix: [ID 484473 kern.notice] NOTICE: Not retired: /p...@0,0/pci10de,3...@f/disp...@0 Nov 16 11:56:15 wonky gdm-binary[1417]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] WARNING: Got console request to add display for session that already has a display, and display is already in use Nov 16 11:56:26 wonky console-kit-daemon[671]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] GLib-GObject-WARNING: g_object_set_property: construct property "seat-id" for object `CkSession' can't be set after construction

None of these seems to be a major problem since the machine is working fine, but I'm curious, especially about the display warnings. Googling doesn't come up with anything interesting.

Cheers,

Rob

--
E-Mail: rob.mcma...@warwick.ac.uk               PHONE:  +44 24 7652 3037
Rob McMahon, IT Services, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England