There is a simple truism in military leadership circles:

If a leader wishes the fealty of their soldiers,
praise them in public, criticize them in private.

Discussion lists are public, and an enduring record of perceived insult.
An e-mail -- or far better -- talking over coffee or a beer!, is private.

Counseling is unquestionably best when done behind closed doors,
giving the other person space to address their issues without ridicule.

I sheepishly admit that I am violating this principle by posting publicly.
Perhaps readers may consider my error in their own right.

We all seem to care about what has happened, and could still...
That is a very good thing.

Respectfully,

Robert Hanke