Hello,
thanks for your reply. I'm trying to reproduce the same error on vanilla
2010.11 installation and to my surprise I'm not able to. What I need to do is:

export PATH=/usr/xpg4/bin:$PATH

and then I'm able to reproduce this error with our testsuite, but I'm not yet
able to simplify it to the simple shell test. Anyway, one important thing is
that if I replace grep with ggrep and so I don't use grep from
/usr/xpg4/bin/grep, but usual GNU grep. The issue is fixed. The same happen if
I use grep from /usr/bin then there is no issue. It looks like just grep from
xpg4 causes this empty line discarding...

Do you have any idea why? Also xpg4 was in a time of first/second Indiana
release recommended way for those wanting true standard/solaris/posix
environment instead of GNU one. Is this still true? I've set it myself in a
hope to get from linux/gnu habbits to real posix/standard/etc. :-)

Thanks,
Karel