joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <r...@karlsbakk.net> wrote:

BTW: I am looking for suggestions on how to implement a "parallel
make" that
is allowed to call up to say 4 concurrent jobs. WOuld it be sufficient
to check
the loadaverage by calling getloadavg(3) to be <= 4?
what's wrong with make -j4 ?

You are referring to a closed source solution.

I suspect Roy was referring to GNU make, which is still open source isn't it?

"-j" has, for as long as I can remember, been the option to specify parallel operation.
   -> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Parallel

I don't believe /usr/ccs/bin/make (as shipped with Solaris) is parallel capable.

The current SunStudio equivalent is dmake (= Distributed Make) which can run parallel jobs, but AFAIK has the added bonus of being able to run on multiple systems as well, further increasing the parallelism of your build, although I've never used it this way myself.

Regards,
Brian

--
Brian Ruthven