On 03/21/11 02:59 PM, Octave Orgeron wrote:
Hi,

The two graphics card options you should look at are the XVR-300 and XVR-2500
for SPARC. All other graphics cards are EOL and don't have support in the Xorg
consolidation in OpenSolaris and Solaris 11. It would be nice if there were some
Nvidia cards that worked on SPARC, since they work so well on x86 for Solaris,
but that's not the case. For cards to work on SPARC, they have to have Fcode
support for the OBP to operate properly.

There are other X11 server products you could use that have a wider support of
cards, just keep in mind that only cards designed for SPARC will operate at the
OBP. I think Xi Graphics is still around, so you can check them out:

http://www.xig.com/Pages/OSsupport.html#Solaris%20OS%20anchor

Thank you on your answer.
I see now that on Oracle Desktop site, there are few graphics cards:

Graphics Cards
    * Sun XVR-300 Graphics Accelerator
    * Sun XVR-2500 Graphics Accelerator
    * NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Graphics Accelerator
    * NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600 Graphics Accelerator
    * NVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Graphics Accelerator
    * NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 Graphics Accelerator (128MB)

So Oracle is selling graphic cards that can not work under SPARC/Solaris but only under x86,
and the only two that can work on SPARC are XVR* ones?

I suppose drivers are not there since low amount of cards is needed on SPARC market and cards needs to have special ROM inside. Is it only software/firmware side on the graphics card for OBP support or hardware needs to be different, too for Graphics card to work under SPARC?

Seems to me like interesting point of sale for small to very small company for production of SPARC OBP supporting cards. Bad side is that Nvidia drivers are always closed source and Oracle does not want to pay for devolment for SPARC. And one can not do anything about Nvidia closed drivers, but porting.. Nouveau drivers from Linux (That have binary blob inside, probably x86-only) or to go to the adventure of open drivers for AMD cards that does not have even closed drivers for Solaris in the first place.