> After stepping out it returns to the kernel debugger...
>
> I can then execute a further 7 ::step outs on the 8th it hangs
> kmdb: target stopped at:
> configure+0x33: call +0x35a0 <impl_bus_reprobe>
> ::step out
> [hang]

Hmm, impl_bus_reprobe() is the last function that
is called before configure() returns.  It seems to
hang in impl_bus_reprobe()

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/i86pc/os/ddi_impl.c#201

The comment in impl_bus_reprobe() describes it as:

   *    Reprogram devices not set up by firmware.

Does HP BIOS have an option named "plug&play os"
or "configure all devices by bios" or similar?
Try to set "plug&play os" to "no" / or "configure
all devices by bios" to yes.