> > Now, I tried to install OpenSolaris 2008.11 but the installation program
> > hangs
>
> Attached a more verbose boot with the installation CD. I'll try again with
> SXCE tomorrow...

It seems that some users have been able to work around usb keyboard
hangs on dells by disabling all or port of acpi - by booting with options
"-B acpi-user-options=0x8" or "-B acpi-user-options=0x2"

And others had success by disabling the uhci usb host controller driver
with "-B disable-uhci=true";  but that has the disadvantage that you
have no keyboard when it is booted (and the workaround for this is to
install a pci usb card with the nec chip (ohci) and attach an usb keyboard
to the nec usb controller; I think attaching an usb 2.0 hub and connecting
the usb keyboard to the hub might work, too)