I'm really, really sorry if this is a "RTFM" situation, as I can't figure out
where to look this up.

In Linux, the name your give the computer shows up on the LAN. e.g. if I call
my computer woofles, and I do "ping woofles" on any other computer in my LAN,
it will give me woofles's IP address and ping it. Same thing happens in Windows.

However, in Solaris, I can't figure out how to turn on the same capability. I
think it has something to do with multicast/dns and/or avahi, but I'm not
entirely sure what steps I need to take to make it happen.

Any help is, as always, much appreciated.