Hi Ramon,

For installing other operating systems on top of Solaris, I would
recommend VirtualBox:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

And yes, there are differences between Solaris and OpenSolaris.
Development of the next version of Solaris is happening in the open at
http://www.opensolaris.org and the OpenSolaris releases are snapshots of
that development train. So with OpenSolaris you'll get exposure to the
new innovations coming in the next version of Solaris. The primary
difference you'll notice is with regards to software packaging. Take
VirtualBox for example. On Solaris you'll download a file and run a
'pkgadd' command to install it. On OpenSolaris, there's a network based
package manager where you specify the package you want and it's
downloaded and installed for you. This can be done either from the
command line or a GUI (Package Manager).

I would recommend installing OpenSolaris in VirtualBox to check it out.
Here's a screencast on how to do it:

http://blogs.sun.com/observatory/entry/screencast_installing_opensolaris_in_virtualbox

The screencast uses Windows Vista as the host OS (rather than Solaris),
but once you have VirtualBox installed, the steps are identical. It will
also give you a good feel for how to install any other operating system
you want on top of Solaris.

Regards,
Brian

--