My Intel motherboard has an on-board audio subsystem, but I want to use some
cheap USB speakers instead. So now I have two audio systems and my problem is
that I can't get rhythmbox to use the USB speakers by default.

Here's what I've figured out:

[b]Run audiotest:[/b]
  $ su
  # audiotest
  Sound subsystem and version: SunOS Audio 4.0 (0x00040003)
  Platform: SunOS 5.11 snv_134 i86pc

  *** Scanning sound adapter #1 ***
  /dev/sound/audiohd:0dsp (audio engine 0): audiohd#0
    - Performing audio playback test...
        <left> ................OK
        <right> ...............OK
        <stereo> ..............OK
        <measured sample rate 47968.00 Hz (-0.07%)>

  *** Scanning sound adapter #2 ***
  /dev/sound/usb_ac:0dsp (audio engine 1): usb_ac#0
    - Performing audio playback test...
        <left> ................OK
        <right> ...............OK
        <stereo> ..............OK
        <measured sample rate 47942.00 Hz (-0.12%)>

  *** All tests completed OK ***

[b]Play some audio while specifying the audio device on the command-line:[/b]

  # audioctl set-control -d usb_ac#0 volume 5:5
  # audioplay -d /dev/sound/usb_ac\:0 sample.au

This works.

[b]Play some audio while specifying the AUDIODEV environment variable:[/b]

  # AUDIODEV=/dev/sound/usb_ac\:0
  # export AUDIODEV
  # audioplay sample.au
  # rhythmbox

audioplay plays audio. rhythmbox plays audio when launched from the
command-line but not from the Gnome Panel.

[b]Reset the links for /dev/audio and /dev/audioctl:[/b]

  # rm /dev/audio /dev/audioctl
  # ln -s /dev/sound/1 /dev/audio
  # ln -s /dev/sound/1ctl /dev/audioctl
  # audioplay sample.au

audioplay plays audio, but rhythmbox doesn't. I tried this with both
/dev/sound/{1,1ctl} and /dev/sound/{usb_ac:0,usb_ac:0ctl}, with the same
results.

So I get audio when I specify the audio device from the command-line or set the
environment variable. But resetting the links work entirely.

I tried a few other things:

  * gstreamer-properties(1), but the device pop-up menu was grayed out and said
Unsupported.

  * Volume Control and Volume Control Preferences. But the device pop-up menu
only shows audiohd#0 (OSS v4 Audio Mixer).

Any ideas?