On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 03:01:18 -0800, Emmanuel De Paepe wrote:

> When trying to access a directory looking like this:
> 'Los Angeles' I received this error: too many arguments.

It is an 'old' thing; in principle the introduction of 'blank' as allowed
character in a filename was about the silliest 'invention' by the
respective party ever.
Here is why, to prove my point:

Imagine, you have a directory containing two files,
one
one two
If you wanted to copy the file 'one' to file 'three', the command is
cp one three
Fine.
Next, you type the command
cp one two four
Huh? *Nobody* in this world can know, if you wanted to copy file 'one'
into file 'two four'; *or* if you wanted to copy file 'one two' into file
'four'.
The misery is that the blank is defined to distinguish options/parameters.
Once those idiots decided that it is also allowed as characters in file
names, the matter became ambiguous.

You can still use it, though, but you need to indicate the correct
association, and use quotes, like
cp "one two" four
or
cp one "two four".
In your case:
cd "Los Angeles" will work.

Again, FYI, this has nothing to do with Solaris. At times I need to use
the quotes on Windows, BSD, Linux as well.

Welcome to the club,

Uwe