Sounds like a limitation of FAT, esp. if the Solaris PCFS implementation isn't
doing the UTF-16 encoding of the long file names as it is (if I understand
correctly)
supposed to.  (The Solaris PCFS implementation is also said to perform quite
poorly, and is in need of a major rewrite.  I think someone was looking at that,
but don't recall what the latest status is, except that last I heard, it was
happening _very_ slowly, being more or less good enough as-is for most
paying customers, or whatever, and therefore getting very little in the
way of resources.)