SOLVED!

But unconvincing, IMHO.
/var/adm/messages
is empty
/var/svc/log/system-filesystem-local:default.log
finally gave the culprit away: me.
Several months ago I had - for reasons of simplicity - added an external (to
Solaris) filesystem into vfstab, for 'mountall'. And forgotten about it. Then I
moved the box one desktop further, did not move the filesystem with it. And
then mountall failed, and with it everything else didn't go up neither. Once
plugged the filesystem back, everything is okay.

Unconvincing, because
 - I wouldn't expect this misery from some data file system being unattached
 - I'd expect it to speak out on what the problem is more clearly.

Thanks for your help!

Uwe