" Now, you say "it starts the local firefox". Is that "local" to the
machine you're working on (machineA), or the machine you typed the
command on (machineB)? And where does it display to? The X display
you're typing into, or an X server displaying on machineB?"

I type the command on the console connected to the remote machine (B).
It starts the firefox of machine A and displays it on A.
To give an example:

Machine A runs Solaris 10 (Firefox 2) and machine B runs OpenSolaris (Firefox
3).
When I login with A through ssh on B and type firefox, it starts firefox 2
while it should
start firefox 3. I do not have this issue with for instance gimp: 2.0 on
Solaris 10 - 2.4 OpenSolaris.