> Curiously, in /var/adm/messages I have two error
> messages about retryable errors reading blocks from a
> SONY SCSI device.  I built this machine myself, and
> I'm fairly certain I have no Sony devices, and the
> disk I'm installing on is not SCSI.

My guess would be that the "SONY SCSI device" is
an ATAPI optical device.  ATAPI optical devices use
the same command set as SCSI optical devices.

So the system might be busy with re-trying a failed
read from the CDROM media.

Any idea when these error messages about retryable
read errors are logged to /var/adm/messages?
Do they appear in /var/adm/messages when the
installation is at 99%?

Maybe the installation media is scratched / defect?