> > Why do you need to re-compile the kernel?
>
> If one day I would have a strange problem on my
> production server, I would be able to fix the problem
> myself. Maybe somebody here would provide me a patch
> of the kernel or something like this. I would like to
> be able then to apply the patch, recompile and reboot
> the system.

Solaris works somewhat differently than Linux in this respect.  The Solaris
practice is to either upgrade to a later 'update' release and/or apply patches
to get bug fixes and features.  Solaris patches contain the relevant packages.
Those packages contain the pre-compiled binaries, libraries, etc.  All you have
to do is apply the patch (and any dependants) then reboot if required.  There's
no need to recompile anything.

For OpenSolaris/SolarisExpress(Nevada) the fix will be integrated into a future
build so you simply update individual packages or upgrade.

If you need to make changes to the kernel or driver this can be done through
the /etc/system file then reboot.  Have a look at the Solaris Kernel Tuning and
Parameter Guide.  Unless you are a kernel engineer or need to make bespoke
changes to the kernel code itself there's very few reason to recompile the
kernel or any SUN package.  It's not supported to recompile SUN packages/code
in production environments.

Hope it helps.