* Danilo (no-re...@opensolaris.org) wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> my osol 2009.06 installation ends in errors, i'm having troubles with ZFS.
> I'm new to ZFS and i don't know how to manage this, actually i hoped
> to learn it after the installation... google didn't help me so much :(
>
> here's the installation log:
> <OM Jun 26 10:44:04> Timezone setting will be TZ=UTC
> <OM Jun 26 10:44:04> Set timezone
> <OM Jun 26 10:44:04> System reports enough physical memory for installation,
> swap is optional
> <OM Jun 26 10:44:37> disk partition info not changed
> <OM Jun 26 08:44:57> Timezone setting will be TZ=Europe/Paris
> <OM Jun 26 08:44:57> Set timezone
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> Disk was changed
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> Disk contains valid Solaris partition
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> whole_disk = 0
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> diskname set = c8t0d0
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> Set fdisk attrs
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> Set zfs root pool device
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:16> creating zpool
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:17> /usr/sbin/zfs get -Hp -o value available rpool
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:17> Creating swap and dump on ZFS volumes
> <TIZFM_E Jun 26 10:45:17> Couldn't create ZFS volume <rpool> on pool <swap>
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:17> Could not create ZFS volume target
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:17> TI process failed
> <OM Jun 26 10:45:17> Target instantiation failed exit_val=-1
>
> Here's how my disk is partitioned:
>                                           Cylinders
>       Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
>       =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
>           1                      Solaris          60739  60800      62        > 0
>           2                      EXT-DOS               0  54708    54709    90
>           3       Active    Linux native  57266  60738    3473      6
>           4                     Solaris2         54709  57265    2557      4
>
> I wonder why the swap partition (n.1) is marked as Solaris...

That would be because a Linux Swap partition has the same partition id
as the old Solaris partition type.

> I'm currently having a Slackware system installed, and I'd liked to
> have a transitory phase with both the system installed, then if all
> will be ok, I'll convert the whole disk to ZFS...but this isn't a good
> start :(

So, you're first problem is that you're trying to install OpenSolaris in
an extended partition (partition 4).  You can't do that (yet).
Currently OpenSolaris requires a primary partition to install to.
You're second problem is that the linux swap partition (partition 1) is
confusing Solaris (because it shares the same partition id as the old
Solaris partition type).

There aren't any easy ways to install OpenSolaris in a setup as you've
got.  Short of reinstalling slackware in primary partitions and leaving
a free primary partition to install OpenSolaris in to, I don't think
there's much else you can do with your current setup.  If you chose to
reinstall slackware in to primary partitions, after you get it setup
you'll want to change the partition id of the linux swap partition from
linux swap to linux before you install OpenSolaris (else you'll confuse
the installer).  You can switch it back once OpenSolaris is installed.

Cheers,

--
Glenn