I'm trying to understand zfs and creating pools and reading
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/intro/. However when I do the first
command I get an error saying "c1t2d0 must be a block device or regular file."

Then I was told by my teacher that the c1t2d0 file or directory or whatever it
is (and I forgot what kind of file it is, what the generic name for this kind
of file is),  is created automatically and represents a disk drive or partition
or something.

I am running opensolaris under vm-ware and I made a second hard disk so I don't
have to worry about messing up anything on the disk that has the op sys and
data files on it. However this second hard disk isn't showing up under /dev/dsk
and I can't find it anywhere when using the gnome file browser. I am taking a
course but the teacher is just talking and refusing to demonstrate any of this
on an actual computer.

What do i do next to be able to continue with the tutorial at
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/intro  ??

Thanks in advance.