> running the nvidia-settings program, I was trying to save my  X
> Configuration file settings and when attempting to save, I get the
> error "Unable to open X config file "for writing".

If/as you're running nvidia-settings as a user, then it won't have
enough rights to replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf,

man page tells about possibility to store setings on per-user basis
in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc etc, but that's usually not relevant,

to store settings in xorg.conf, the easies way is running
nvidia-settings with the full privileges as:

pfexec nvidia-settings

and it will allow you overwriting/creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Cheers,

Einar.