Tim,
thanks for the reply. I looked at /var/adm/messages and this is what I found

Apr 13 00:00:21 fortress zfs-auto-snap: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] Error: Unable
to take recursive snapshots of datap...@zfs-auto-snap:daily-2010-04-13-00:00.
Apr 13 00:00:21 fortress zfs-auto-snap: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] Moving
service svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:daily to maintenance mode.
Apr 13 00:00:32 fortress svc.startd[7]: [ID 748625 daemon.error]
system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:daily transitioned to maintenance by
request (see 'svcs -xv' for deta
ils)

It seems it was not able to take a recursive snapshot of
datap...@zfs-auto-snap:daily-2010-04-13-00:00 and dropped down to maintenance.
Would it be possible to find more information about why it was unable to do
that?

I was not aware of 'svcadm mark..', which is nice.