Andrew Gardner wrote:
> Now, for the question.  I see on the website that XVR-600 graphics are not
> supported by Xorg.  I was under the impression that Xsun isn't an option for
> OpenSolaris, meaning that I will not be able to run X on the console for this
> box.  Is this correct?

Correct.

> Is there a way to run a slower X on this machine, e.g. an equivalent to
> running Xorg in VESA mode with an unsupported graphics card on a Linux box?

VESA mode isn't a function of the OS, but the hardware platform - you can use
VESA mode with Xorg on x86 boxes running Solaris or OpenSolaris as well, but
there is no equivalent in SPARC graphics, since it was never necessary to
support OS'es that didn't include the required drivers when the hardware & OS
always came in sync from the same vendor.

Martin Bochnig has done some work on making Xorg drivers available for the
older SPARC graphics cards that Sun/Oracle has EOL'ed - you should be able
to find postings he's made about those or get more details from him.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com