I've recently got mine running, and I've run onto some things that I think may
be useful to others, along the lines of picking parts, powering the unit, and
remote power/wakeup management. I thought I'd share, plus get the benefits of
any comments on this from this forum.

I wanted to put my server out in the (detached) garage, and to not have to go
traipsing out there when it needed rebooted or power cycled - which all servers
need sometimes.

I found a LAN managed AC power switcher that's cheap. The IP Power 9258T gives
you four LAN individually switchable AC power outlets in one box for under
US$100.

I also came up with ways to make unused AC power outlets on that box emulate
the power switch contacts and reset contacts of a typical ATX PC box.

They're on my  ZFS server blog at

rgkeen.wordpress.com

I hope this helps someone. It's an attempt to pay back some of the help I
received here.