> Thanks Andrew,
>
> Yeah, my thought was that we should try a smaller CF
> as well.  We downgraded to a 16GB CF, which seems
> like that is the maximum supported anyway, according
> to the x4540 docs.  But lo and behold, that doesn't
> work either.  When I go into the BIOS on boot, I see
> this under the IDE controller settings:
>
> Device: Primary IDE Master
> Vendor: SanDisk SDCFX-016G
> Size: 0MB    <--- This can't be right
> LBA Mode: Supported
> Block Mode: Not Supported
> PIO Mode: 4
> Async DMA: MulitiWord DMA-2
> Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA-5
> S.M.A.R.T.: Not Supported
>
> So, according to the docs for the server, a 16GB CF
> should work.  But it doesn't so I wonder if there's a
> problem with the BIOS firmware.  I'd download  a BIOS
> upgrade but I'm having trouble getting Oracle to let
> me get access to firmware upgrades, even though we
> just bought the server...  :(

That does look odd. Perhaps the answer is to use a supported CF card from Sun,
or there may be some kind of fault on the box. At this point I'm speculating
wildly of course.

Sun's documentation doesn't quite work like you suggest. If it says a 16GB CF
card works, that means the one Sun sells works. It does not imply every 16GB
fCF card will be OK.

Cheers

Andrew.