Interesting that those drives are working well for you.  Do you think you get
such good speeds because you have the stripped across 2 raidz2 arrays?  My
budget wont allow for 12 drives currently - so that is not really an option for
me currently.

How full are you file systems?  How long does the scrub take?

I would prefer to go with 5 1.5TB Green drives if I think I could get good
enough performance in one raidz2 array.  I have just read in the ZFS forum
people mentioning that drives over 1 TB are so big that scrubs and/or
resilvering takes forever.

I am hoping to not need a ZIL..  Anywhere that I can mount with NFS I can also
mount with CIFS.  I may look at adding a ZIL if I end up doing NFS - it may be
faster (with a ZIL) from my linux/macs.

Does your recommendation for dual over quad still stand if I am planning on
doing dedup/compression on my backup and documents filesystems?  I forgot to
mention that in my initial posting, which I know is a glaring omission.