On 05/17/10 07:30, Rob Levy wrote:
Folks,

I currently use OpenSolaris on a Toshiba M10 laptop.

I recently had to rebuild it (bad sectors on a hdd partition slice with rpool)
and installed the last release of OpenSolaris 2009.06 from the live CD and then
updated straight to the 134 build before continuing configuring, etc.

I subsequently attempted adding packages (Sun explorer) which install from a
local repository and reported to install successfully but no files appeared to
be installed (ref. pkg output and /var/pkg/repo output bellow).

r...@ayeish: ~ $ pkg list SUNWexplo
NAME (PUBLISHER)                              VERSION         STATE      UFOXI
SUNWexplo                                     6.4             installed  -----
r...@ayeish: ~ $ pkg info SUNWexplo
           Name: SUNWexplo
          State: Installed
      Publisher: local
        Version: 6.4
  Build Release: 5.11
         Branch: None
Packaging Date: 15 May 2010 22:29:21
           Size: 0.00 B
           FMRI: pkg://local/sunwex...@6.4,5.11:20100515T222921Z
r...@ayeish: ~ $ pkg contents SUNWexplo
PATH
r...@ayeish: ~ $

r...@ayeish: ~ $ find /var/pkg/repo
/var/pkg/repo
/var/pkg/repo/file
/var/pkg/repo/cfg_cache
/var/pkg/repo/tmp
/var/pkg/repo/pkg
/var/pkg/repo/pkg/SUNWexplu
/var/pkg/repo/pkg/SUNWexplu/6.4%2C5.11%3A20100515T224107Z
/var/pkg/repo/pkg/SUNWexplo
/var/pkg/repo/pkg/SUNWexplo/6.4%2C5.11%3A20100515T222921Z
/var/pkg/repo/catalog
/var/pkg/repo/catalog/catalog.attrs
/var/pkg/repo/catalog/update.20100515T22Z.C
/var/pkg/repo/catalog/catalog.base.C
/var/pkg/repo/index
/var/pkg/repo/index/main_dict.ascii.v2
/var/pkg/repo/index/fast_add.v1
/var/pkg/repo/index/__st_pkg.fmri
/var/pkg/repo/index/fmri_offsets.v1
/var/pkg/repo/index/full_fmri_list
/var/pkg/repo/index/__at_set
/var/pkg/repo/index/fast_remove.v1
/var/pkg/repo/index/token_byte_offset.v1
/var/pkg/repo/index/manf_list.v1
/var/pkg/repo/trans

During the STB install I noticed a SUNWipkg error (bellow) and decided to
address it before reattempting the SUNWexplo and SUNWexplu package removal and
re-install.

error from 'install_stb_opensol.sh'

pkg: info: no packages matching the following patterns you specified are
installed on the system.  Try specifying -r to query remotely:

Investigating SUNWipkg status ...

r...@ayeish: ~ $ cat /etc/release
                        OpenSolaris Development snv_134 X86
            Copyright 2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                         Use is subject to license terms.
                              Assembled 01 March 2010
r...@ayeish: ~ $

When I check for the SUNWipkg package it appears it is *not* installed:

r...@ayeish: ~ $ pkg list -avf entire | head
FMRI                                                             STATE
UFOXI
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.134:20100302T023003Z  installed
-----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.133:20100216T121104Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.132:20100130T123058Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.131:20100115T044400Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.130:20091219T044839Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.129:20091205T134302Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.128:20091125T051747Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.127:20091111T131831Z  known
u----
pkg://opensolaris.org/ent...@0.5.11,5.11-0.126:20091022T214456Z  known
u----
r...@ayeish: ~ $

When I attempt to *install* it, I am unsuccessful
r...@ayeish: ~ # pkg install SUNWipkg
No updates necessary for this image.
r...@ayeish: ~ #

I read about the /contrib bug and appear not to be impacted by it:
r...@ayeish: ~ $ pkg contents -Ho pkg.name,action.raw -t depend | grep
fmri=entire@ | cut -f1

Note. My grasp of many of the new features of OpenSolaris (which are likely to
be propagated to Solaris) are still in development and serve as the primary
reason I have adopted OpenSolaris (so I can  become more familiar with them to
promote adoption).

If anyone can clarify what is going on here it would be appreciated.

In build 134, there was a giant renaming.. SUNWipkg is now package/pkg...

Take a look at the output of pkg list.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
bart.smaald...@oracle.com       http://blogs.sun.com/barts