On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:41 AM, Peter Bauer <s...@ferraro.net> wrote:
> I have a real problem with my e1000 network device:
> Some times I can no more ping my server. But in the other direction I can
> ping from server to Internet.
>
> If I can't ping from Internet to my server, I can "repair" the problem by
> pinging from server to Internet.
>
> Is it possible that the e1000 Intel network device has a power safe mode
> which could be disabled? Is there a way to run the card in a kind safe-mode?

Can you ping it from within your network ?

When it's not working, if you ping from server to "Internet", does
"Internet" starts receiving ping replies automatically ?

I can't think of anything that would cause this besides flaky firewall
rules. Try to test this on your local network to rule out any
intermediary problems between this server and the other end over the
Internet.

> And could it be possible to run the whole driver in a verbose mode that I
> could understand where is the problem?

Yes, you've to recompile the kernel module with DEBUG defined.

I'm trying to turn that into a tunable but I've been short on time.

--
Giovanni