Hi All.

Hope you can still help here. Solaris 11 Express.
x86 platform E6600 with 6GB of RAM

I have a fairly new S11E box Im using as a file server.
3x1.5TB HDD's in a raidz pool.

When I first set it up I was getting 110MB/sec writes across gigabit network
via SMB shares.

I noticed recently that write rate has dropped off and through testing now I am
getting 35MB/sec writes. The pool is around 50-60% full.

I am getting a CONSTANT 30-35% kernel cpu utilisation, even if the machine is
idle. I do not know if this was the case when the write performance was better.
I have tried reading from the server to a HDD on a windows client and I get
50+MB/sec which is probably the max that that HDD can sustain on a write.

It's interesting that when I boot into the S11E live CD, my CPU idles at 100%
idle, but as soon as I install to HDD, it gets that 30-35% kernel utilisation.

I do not know if the CPU utilisation and the bad write performance is related.

I did the following while the system was idle.

an@Nas:~# lockstat -gkIW sleep 60

Profiling interrupt: 11648 events in 60.038 seconds (194 events/sec)

Count genr cuml rcnt nsec Hottest CPU+PIL Caller

10534 90% ---- 0.00 165530 cpu[1] thread_start
9750 84% ---- 0.00 147359 cpu[1] idle
8128 70% ---- 0.00 94807 cpu[1] cpu_idle_mwait
7852 67% ---- 0.00 84202 cpu[1] i86_mwait