Tomorrow, I'm supposed to fix a server which is a few years old sparc
solaris 10.  It boots up, flickers the screen, then says something about
could not start X11, and falls back to the text login prompt.  It is a
requirement that this machine boot up and login to a GUI, because its
primary function is to run a standalone GUI application of some kind....
More like a workstation, and not so much like a server.

It currently has a DVI flatpanel dell monitor.  I have been informed the
machine has no VGA output.

I am thinking there's simply no compatible display mode, and by simply
getting a different monitor, I might be able to solve the problem.  What do
you think?