I am sorry, I need to clearify something here, please do not take this as an
offense.

Actually what happens on boot up is, that either the 32bit kernel or the 64bit
kernel get's loaded, meaning any installation of solaris is equipped with 2
kernels (double space required than an installation with only one kernel).

Please do not mix up linux and the linux distributions. Linux is only the
kernel, the distributions all include the kernel and lot's of GNU Software and
other Software. So there might be a linux distro with this exact feature (I do
not now since there are tons of them out there). For a linux pro it is not
really hard to create a linux installation/distribution, that actually boots as
32bit or 64bit depending on the underlying system.

Another drawback of this feature is, that every binary, every program has to be
installed in it's 32bit and 64bit build, which again leads to double required
disk space.

True is the fact, that even Windows Pros cannot create a double kernel
installation the way they can on linux or solaris.

So in my opinion this feature is rather a drawback (except for some special
scenarios in which you switch your cpu frequently ;-), but I bet you can tell
the solaris installer to only install 32bit or 64bit.