Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the "external backup" feature of Time Slider Manager
in Solaris 11 Express. In the window, I have "Replicate backups to an external
drive" checked. The "Backup Device" is the mount point of my backup drive. In
"File Systems To Back Up," "Select" and "Replicate" are checked for everything
except the backup filesystem.

After having set this a few times, only two filesystems have been backed up: my
root fs, and an fs for one of my zones. These are located at
"/backup/TIMESLIDER/hostname/fsname".

I let it sit for a few weeks and checked again, thinking maybe it would start
with a weekly snapshot or something, but this does not seem to be the case.
Restarting the time-slider and auto-snapshot processes doesn't seem to do
anything either and there is no relevant info in any of the relevant SMF log
files.

My understanding is that this feature is supposed to replicate via rsync all
Time Slider snapshots for all filesystems that have been selected to replicate,
to the backup drive. I wonder if this understanding is incorrect, or if I'm
doing something wrong.

The relevant time-slider services appear as follows:

online         Jun_11   svc:/application/time-slider:default
online         Jun_11   svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:daily
online         Jun_11   svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:monthly
online         Jun_11   svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:frequent
online         Jun_11   svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:weekly
online         Jun_11   svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:hourly
online         Jun_11   svc:/application/time-slider/plugin:rsync

The capacity of the backup drive is 928GB; the total capacity of all
filesystems to back up is 1161GB, however, only 410GB are used.

Thanks,
Alex