Assume I have a running OpenSolaris 2009.06 and I go to menu

System->Administration->Package Manager

Here I click on the "Refresh" button and hundreds of list entries appear with a
checkbox in front of them being unchecked/disabled.

What does that mean in DETAIL?

Are all the software updates being shown are already installed on my local
system or does that mean that all software updates being shown are currently
NOT installed but could be installed?

I want to avoid to new install currently NOT installed software but only to
update
locally existing software.

As far as I can see hardly any/no software in the "Refresh" list is initially
checked/enabled. Do I have to explicitely (manually) to check all items?

How do I decide which of the software entries belong to a currently installed
software and which not?

Peter