I came to the same conclusion, with the exception that a lookahead for a collision would be helpful in the client. If they use the same physics engine and the client does no more than implement a collision check, I think it could be a good thing. I'm looking at several free physics engines atm and thought I would clear my thinking up some. Collisions with soft bodies deform the collision mesh itself so yeah it gets a little tricky when you split them.

--GC