Many of the problems can be solved with options to put account name
into a log, or make it visible in a tag. That way, if people want to
know the unique identifier, they can see it, and can have it logged.
Many of us are required to log conversations while at work, and having
a real account name option would make second life compliant with
standards that mandate having a log which tracks the identities of
people we speak with.

Display names do not meet that standard, account names do.