Oop!  Sorry, i meant "Arrehn's comments" and "Arrehn's mail," not
"Erik's."  No offense, Erik.

- AK

i really like Arrehn's comments!  He gives lots of good examples.  The best
draw distance isn't always a function of the best performance.  Sometimes
it may not even make sense to someone who's not there at the time.

i think one of the important ideas in Arrehn's mail and some of the earlier
messages is that draw distance is a candidate for a (maybe optional)
onscreen widget that makes it as easy to adjust as the camera controls.

All the ideas for chat line access and defaults management of draw
distance and other settings are really awesome, too!  My opinion says they
should be implemented in parallel with something super simple and obvious
to use for draw distance, including maybe even a way to enable a mouse
gesture the same way it works for the maps.

If you think about it for a sec, isn't a quick and easy type of "draw
distance" adjustment part of the way our eyes work?  It seems very natural
to make SL work in its world the same way.

- AK (Aklo Modan)

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Erik Anderson
<eri...@odysseus.anderson.name> wrote:

> [...]
It's not that simple, there are are a number of use cases that call
for different draw distances.

If you're playing with some kinds of vehicles, you may have the best
experience with a medium-low draw distance to keep framerates high but
still let you see where you're going.
If you're in the audience of a high-traffic event, you may have the
best experience with an extremely low draw distance.
If you're taking photographs, particularly of scenery, you will turn
draw distance up very high and not be so concerned with framerates.
If you're trying to keep an eye on a particular spot on a sim X
distance from you, you'll want to use a draw distance of at least X.
If you're in an indoor area with confined spaces, a very small draw
distance may be optimal.
If you're trying to get 'the lay of the land' for how a region is
spread out, a higher draw distance may be necessary so you can see
buildings and landscaping together.

This is just off the top of my head. Many of these depend on user's
preference for framerate vs scene details at a moment in time, and
can't be reliably guessed purely from inworld behavior (although there
are hints, I will grant).  I find myself frequently adjusting draw
distance in practice, mainly for photographcs, music events, and some
types of vehicle use. Viewers that have some quick UI for for this are
far more handy than the clicks involved in navigating to custom
graphics preferences.
Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting
privileges