On 23 August 2010 11:51, Joel Foner <joel.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  As Josh and others have said, one of the things we'd need is a unique
>> secret account identifier. Unfortunately the only existing account datum
>> which might work here is email address, and that's not unique, though we're
>> starting to think that it really should be
>>

> Just a quick note... email addresses change fairly regularly. Basing the
> permanent unique account identifier on a transient token seems bound to
> create problems in the longer term due to user movements from one email
> address to another, and old addresses become invalid and even forgotten by
> users.

Many other services seem to manage it just fine. But this is the kind of
devil in the details that makes it require some more thought. I'm sure we'd
have some kind of internal account ID (in a similar vein to agent ID) to
which everything's tied, so that email changes would have minimal
administrative update cost, and we'd keep a history of all such changes.
That's *if* this is the route we take, if and when we do this work.

-- Yoz