One way to fix this "problem" is for LL to enable tenants of
rented-out sims to directly take over payment of tier.
But of course, if any one tenant quits paying, there's still the risk
that the sim tier won't be paid, and I doubt anyone thinks LL should
offer the sim for free.

I did already reply offlist to this pointing out how offtopic it is
though, and pointing out that LL have no contract with tenants of
rental regions - tenants of such regions are thus not customers.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Stickman <stick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It makes
>> no sense whatsoever.
>
> It makes some sense. It promotes a reseller market, creating an
> economy that otherwise wouldn't exist by requiring a middleman.
>
> I won't say I agree with it, but I don't really consider it something
> I need to make a strong decision on.
>
>> Aleric's gripe is that if LL didnt have the policy in place she/he would
>> have paid their money happily directly to LL with the consequence that
>> he/she would still be on the land that they had "occupied" for over a
>> yr, had much invested in and had some sentimental value to them.
>
> Aleric is not the first person to have suffered land being swept out
> from under them. I've had more than one set of friends that almost had
> it happen to them.
>
>> That you feel that this doesn't actually disrespect users or customers
>> of LL's is a sad indictment on your logical abilities.
>
> This is a problem that LL should have addressed already, yes. One way
> it can be addressed by providing resellers, or those that purchase
> land from resellers, with more information. Suggesting a contract
> template between renter and reseller to protect each with some level
> of protection might also be a good idea. A legal recourse to follow
> when someone breaks their contract, either landlord or renter, is
> better than impotence.
>
> I don't know why LL doesn't sell Homesteads to the average resident.
> It might be intentional, it might be a legacy policy that hasn't been
> reevaluated and cleared up yet. But it's still possible to work within
> the system and not get screwed over. There just needs to be more
> education about the existing system.
>
> My heart goes out to Aleric, and I hope this can be resolved
> positively. It won't be resolved on this list, though.
>
> Jack Linden's office hours might be the best place to bring it up (I'm
> not sure). Thursdays at 11am.
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Linden%20Estate%20Services/213/107/49
>
> Submitting a ticket asking for a deferral on the actual deletion of
> the sim ASAP is a good place to start.
>
> Finding a new "Homestead holder" and talking with the old reseller to
> get the sim transferred over is your best bet to salvage it. There's a
> US$100 or L$28000 fee to transfer, but it's better than losing it.
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Private_Region_Transfer_FAQ
>
> Good luck.
>
> -Stickman

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow