On 08/09/2010 23:09, Mike Dickson wrote:
> Oh geez. Do we really have to go through this again.  You can run
> whatever you like on your PC.  And Linden Lab has every right to
> determine what software they will allow to connect to their SERVICE.

Okay, let's just outline this properly.

The lab DO NOT have any right to determine what software they will allow
to connect to their SERVICE.  The only thing they DO have a right to do
is to determine which TCP connections they want to accept and which UDP
packets they want to accept.  It's my right to use whichever software I
want to generate those packets. As such, I accept that they have the
legal right to block logins from clients containing "Emerald" in their
version string - but not a moral right. And they certainly do not have a
right to threaten people with account bans if they "bypass" the ban.

Linden Lab have blocked Emerald due to a POLITICAL DISAGREEMENT with
their dev team.  They haven't blocked it because of any fault with the
software itself,  they're not protecting anyone - they're taking
pre-emptive action against a project because of some percieved danger
that might evolve.

~T