Hi Mike,

On 12/10/2010 06:51 PM, Mike Chase wrote:
> Can someone point me to a summary of 64bit support for Linux
> for that series of viewers?  I know in the past I was able to run a
> 32bit version but with no streaming media.
See the forum thread Linux 64 bits and medias
<http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/507388#507388>.

On 12/10/2010 10:29 PM, Marc Adored wrote:
> I've been hoping for linden
> to really work on simplifying the 64bit building because 64bit systems
> are being more and more popular with the need for more and more
> memory. I do believe someone was working on fixing this in the
> opensource community but I don't recall who
For the viewer-development branch, that'd be me. Although I mostly just
ported others' fixes that already existed for the 1.x code base and/or
Snowglobe 2.

>  or how far they got.
Should be fully working now (see below), if you start form
viewer-development (or viewer-beta or viewer-release). About the
mesh-development branch ... well, that's another animal entirely when it
comes to building 64bit (due to new dependencies and whatnot).

On 12/11/2010 04:46 AM, Mike Chase wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 08:06 PM, Carlo Wood wrote:
>> Huh huh... No need to install 32bit libs! Just compile the viewer
>> yourself! I've been running native 64 bit since day one.
> Carlo, do you have a script or a pointer to the steps to do the build?
All necessary steps should be on the wiki at Compiling the viewer
(Linux) <https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28Linux%29>.

> Is it simply the standard steps or something special.
Because Linden Lab does not provide pre-built libraries for 64bit linux,
you'll have to build "standalone", i.e., using system libraries. (See
What does 'Standalone' mean?
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28Linux%29#What_does_.27Standalone.27_mean.3F>)
Thus you'll need to have all build time dependencies installed into your
system. The wiki article linked above lists debian and ubuntu package
names for most dependencies. Standalone-specific steps are included and
marked as such (e.g. through section naming).

The build documentation tends to get out-of-date quickly. If you decide
to build yourself and run into troubles or have further questions,
please do ask on this mailing list or on IRC (channel #opensl on
freenode <irc://irc.freenode.org/opensl>) so that you can be helped and
the documentation improved/corrected.

Good luck & cheers,
Boroondas