On 2012-09-21 03:17 , Lance Corrimal wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Here's a feature idea that I just had, and I thought I'd float it past here
> before I post a feature request on the jira.
>
> As a user I would like to see a third option for doubleclick navigation
> inworld: "pathfinding - immersive"
>
> With that option turned on, the viewer would determine if the point the user
> clicked on is within draw distance, and if so, use pathfinding "navigate to"
> to walk there. If the point was outside of drawdistance, the viewer would use
> whatever else the user had configured for normal doubleclick navigation (i.e.
> teleporting or "go here").

We have considered whether or not to apply pathfinding movement to
avatars, but so far have decided that it would too often produce
non-intuitive results.   Avatars can go places that pathfinding
creatures can't and the differences are not always obvious to users (for
example, an avatar will "step up" over a level change that a pathfinding
creature will not attempt).  This might often lead to users clicking on
a point that seems easily accessible, but the avatar goes off in some
entirely different direction (as the beginning of a circuitous path), or
just fail to find a pathfinding route at all (this latter presents an
additional problem of how to inform the user).

Personally. I've always wanted to be able to choose a series of
waypoints manually... some games I've played let you do this by making
'click' mean 'walk straight to here', and 'shift-click' mean 'add this
as the next waypoint after the current end of my path'.